Alabama Farm Credit is an aggressively growing $1.1 billion Farm Credit association dedicated to the financial needs of our rural communities. In short, we help fund new ways to grow food, generate energy, access technology, and otherwise improve life in rural America. A career at Alabama Farm Credit can offer you the opportunity to make a personal impact on the people and communities where we do business. The institution is headquartered in Cullman, AL with five offices that serve the northern twenty-seven (27) counties of Alabama. We continue to serve the agricultural related needs of the two major metropolitan areas of Alabama in Birmingham and Huntsville. We also provide competitive compensation, health and wellness benefits, company-funded retirement plan, “best in market” matching 401(k), and professional development programs.
- Oversees and directs the accounting function for the association to include financial reporting, general ledger, and other subsidiary systems. Monitors accounting activity to ensure accuracy. Provides support and training for loan administrators and office assistants as necessary.
- Directs the activities of accounting department personnel by recommending staffing levels, assigning responsibilities and making recommendations for budgets, short and long-range plans, programs and procedures.
- Researches complex accounting/tax issues to recommend appropriate accounting treatment and determines the impact on the financial position of the association. Implements new accounting pronouncements as appropriate for the Association. Manages issues related to the preparation and filing of the consolidated corporate income tax return to arrive at accurate consolidated balances. Responds to IRS and other inquiries from outside agencies for tax information.
- Establishes and interprets the association’s financial reporting and accounting policy in accordance with GAAP, FCA regulation, reporting requirements of the Funding Corporation and the Federal Reserve, and IRS code. Develops policies and procedures to enhance the accounting system’s internal controls to meet all applicable regulations.
- Reviews bank statement, direct note reconciliations, and subsidiary account reconciliations as prepared by accounting staff. Maintains and updates check signature authorities as directed by the EVP- Chief Financial Officer.
- Coordinates monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting to senior management, board of directors, external stakeholders, and auditors.
- Assists in the selection of staff, providing training and instruction, conducting performance evaluations, overseeing staff to ensure accountability for their areas of responsibility, approving personnel actions and salaries, delegating authority to staff and determining training needs.
- Develops and maintain internal controls to ensure protection of Association assets.
Location: Cullman, AL
Reports to: CFO
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, or a related field and (5) or more years of experience in fiscal operations and/or finance and accounting including (2) to (4) years of supervisory experience. CPA certification preferred.
JOB PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Primary responsibility is to direct the association’s accounting functions. These functions include establishing and maintaining accounting standards, practices, and procedures. Has considerable latitude for decision making in the planning and accomplishment of association goals.
- An outstanding company-wide incentive program
- Accommodating and flexible vacation and sick leave
- 12 paid holidays
- 401(k) plan with up to a 9% employer contribution/match
- Affordable health, dental, and vision plans
- Employer paid life insurance and disability
- Tuition reimbursement (100%)
- Up to $400/year wellness reimbursement
- Company paid clothing allowance
- Company paid cell phone and laptop